Thursday, November 06, 2008

Sub anyone?

It's a good thing I'm only playing in three leagues (Sunday mixed, Monday and Friday social). Being available to sub on other days makes me very popular.

We're not even in our first full month of the season and my inbox is being pinged left and right. I subbed for the Women's league yesterday, on Marj Y's team. Amazingly, I was asked by three different teams to sub last night.

I've been asked to be the 5th (wo)man on one team, a perma sub on another/joining the women's league. Last week I was a sub for the Thursday afternoon league. The week before that, I came back from a bonspiel in Langley BC to sub in the Mixed Doubles league. I love being a sub, but I need to spend some time just practicing. I have many things to learn and improve on. The hardest thing this year for me to improve on, may be in saying "No."

Last season, the only time I ever said No was when I was already subbing. Which meant I participated in quite a few back to back draws in the last couple of months. This season, unless I playing in a bonspiel, I'd like to keep it to just one draw an evening.

We need to get the word out to have people sign up for subbing. And for them not to be afraid if its their first year. How else will they get experience? Or meet all the other great people out there that can only play in one league on a regular basis?

I am trying to step up to the plate and help out with curling outreach as much as I can. Sometimes its as little as mentioning that women's 'competitive' practice is open to all the women in the club (part of your membership, no additional fees). Other times its getting on the ice a little earlier and working with someone on their delivery. I tend to want everyone to be as excited about curling and to enjoy it as much as I do. Which of course, is tough, because, as you all know from reading my blog, I'm obsessed.

Anyways, time for some sleep. I hope to visualize myself coming out of the hack at least 10 times before I fall asleep......its all about the basics.

No comments: