Sunday, December 14, 2008

All day at the Seattle Granite Curling Club

It was a very long, cold day at the Seattle Curling Club. The heater is broken, and it was practically colder inside on the ice than it was outside.

Gabrielle and I spent an hour and a half attempting to get to the club. Her rental did not navigate our icy hill very well. It took close to 45 minutes to get to Juanita Drive.

We finally made it, and spent a couple of hours with our team practicing. We went through our 10 minute practice routine. That went fairly well. Then our team continued to work on our line of delivery, that we had started in Richmond. We all still have a few quirks to iron out. At the end, we had our draw to the button, and I finally won, with a draw of 3 1/2 inches away from the button!! The next closest was 6 inches.

I then subbed for Steve L in the mixed doubles league. After women's practice my draw weight was pretty good, and I feel like I played well. Our team beat Jake and Betty (who subbed for Emily) by 4 or 5 points. I got a great compliment from Steve, who said I was his first choice when he needed a sub for mixed doubles. I still have a lot of work to do to, but its always cool to get the warm fuzzy compliments.

Our Mixed League game - Calcagno vs Benson also went well. We won easily and shook after the 6th end. It took time for me to readjust to the ice. The first two ends were super heavy compared to earlier in the day. It took something like a split of 3.28 to make the T Line. One of my 'take-outs' ended up as a 4. The first end set the tone of the game with us taking 4 points with hammer.

My inturn is getting much better. I had two phenomenal shots, but again, still needs a lot of work for consistency.

No comments: