Sunday, July 13, 2008

The Red Elvises

I didn't get a lot accomplished after I purchased my new iPhone. If last year's release was the bar to go by, this year's iPhone release rated a negative 10. What a miserable experience.

The biggest problem this year was they were forcing the activations in the store, instead of being able to buy the phone and activate it online at home. A 5 minute purchase therefore turned into a 20 minute plus ordeal. And that is if you already had an account.

The Bellevue Square Apple store made bad decisions. AT&T's system went down Friday night. They gave out 60 vouchers, unbeknownst to those of us who went to wait in line at 6 am. Jeremy and I had gotten there early and were in spots 9 and 10. Well, as the morning went on, we were told that the people who had received vouchers would get priority. The problem with this, is the voucher people were not given a set time to be at the Apple store. Jeremy and I made it to number two in line, and then 30 people with vouchers showed up at random times. We would think finally, all the voucher people were done. Next thing you know, three more people would show up.

Additionally, five hours after we showed up, we were told if you were on a corporate or business account, the Apple store would not be able to activate you, and that you had to go to the AT&T Wireless store. I went to look at the AT&T Wireless store - they only had a total of 60 16 gig iPhones. There were 62 people in front of me. I decided to call in to AT&T Wireless to have them remove my corporate fan. I've worked there before, years and years ago. I know its not a big deal to remove it. It became a big deal, and I finally had to have my friend Jason call in and walk them through it, as he had worked there more recently than I, and still knew how to walk them through.

I believe that because of that, our activations were able to go through. Yay.

Jeremy and I returned home. Synched up our phones to our computer. Played with them for a few minutes. Then we both passed out due to a lack of sleep. I took a nice 2 hour nap. I would have liked a longer nap, but I needed to get ready to see the Red Elvises at the Tractor Tavern in Ballard.

This is the 2nd time I have seen the Red Elvises. They are solid performers. I was entertained just as much as I had been the first time. They have an odd collection of followers. There were the alternatively dressed people. Skimpy clothes, lots and lots of tattoos, lots of piercings. There were the freakishly tall geeks (Those of you that are 6 ' 11 - sorry, you just don't get to stand in the front of the stage!). There were some crazy old people as well.

I went with Marisa, her cousin John, and my friend Maya. There were definitely some good times had last evening.

I need to get moving. Jeremy is biking to Ballard with a friend, and I am picking him up!

No comments: