Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Crab Feast!

Yesterday, Jeremy and I joined a couple of curlers for the Monday night All You Can Eat Crab dinner at Thrasher's Corner Pub. I enjoyed the crab, though it wasn't anywhere near as good as the stir fried crab that my mother makes. Jeremy is not a big fan of shellfish, so he stuck with a Philly Steak Sandwich.

Earlier this evening I had an experience that left me speechless. I went to take the recycling out before dinner, and was hailed by a couple standing in the driveway next door. The house next door is a rental house, and was recently vacated. The first thing the guy said to me was "Do you speak English?"

Being born and raised in the Seattle area, I am always surprised when people make comments like that. Last year at a Seattle Mariners game, an older man was sitting next to me. He asked me if I was born in China? No. Was I born in Korea? No. Taiwan? No. Where were you born? I was born in Seattle. I received a blank look. He couldn't understand that even though I am Asian, thatI was born in Seattle. Sometimes I wonder what century I live in.

No comments: